Academic Director | INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL / JULY 2020Company Name: MICA International Scholars
MICA stands for Mastery, Integrity, Creativity, and Academy. We are an international school offering our classes in English, targeting students at a young age to grow as bilingual, globally talented individuals in the future. We follow an American curriculum and follow a balanced arts curriculum, not just focusing on teaching English, but also Science, Sociology, Mathematics, Art, Music and Physical Education.
We have 18 teachers in our school, and we have less than 100 students enrolled. Our small class sizes allow us to focus on each individual student's excellence and growth.
- Collaborate and implement academic planning, curriculum, and policies.
- Work with the School Leadership Team in the development of the delivery of the school's teaching and learning strategy.
- Supervise, evaluate, and conduct performance reviews each semester for all teachers and students
- Gather and analyze academic and disciplinary date on student achievement
- Lead and coordinate departmental and other academic meetings
- Provide training in the use of educational materials, programs, and techniques.
- Review the forward academic plan in consultation with the Principal/VP/Executive Director, and for planning and costing proposed new curriculum components, including staffing requirements.
- Coordinate school accreditation procedures
- Prepare yearly curriculum guide and manage/organize the yearly school event
- Communicate with parents, teachers, academic counselor, and school leadership team on student's learning progress or discipline
- Responsibility for recruitment, supervision & Evaluation, and setting of professional development targets for teaching faculty, and any other potential position in the academic area
- Develop and lead cohesive and coherent quality professional development for faculty and staff members to improve student learning, and communicates about this regularly to faculty.
- Utilize teacher teams and shared leadership to delegate responsibilities
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Principal/VP/Executive Director.
Role: Academic Director
Start Date: July 20, 2020
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Holidays/Vacation: 8 Weeks Total
3 weeks of summer vacation, 3 weeks of winter vacation, 1 week of spring vacation, 1
week of Chuseok and Lunar New Year holidays, and other national holidays (including all
- Must understand U.S.-based education
- F-2, F-4, F-6 visa holders and overseas Koreans only
- Experience with Common Core and Readers and Writers Workshop classes preferred
MICA International Scholars
Director's Message As an international Christian school, we base our curriculum on the standards of the U.S. educational system taught from a biblical perspective. We encourage students from a young age to grow into bilingual, globally talented individuals through a well-rounded and balanced education. We also believe that students should be pursue their own interests and God-given talents to reach their full potential. Ms. Sooyoun Kim MICA director What We Strive For At MICA, we want each student to be proud of his or her education and accomplishments. Therefore, we built a modern, student-centered facility that provides a safe environment that allows our students to create and explore. As an international school, we implement a U.S.-based curriculum along with other proven programs that not only make learning fun and exciting but also strengthen reflection and retention. Students are assessed in a variety of ways which are then used together to develop a course for success. Through these assessments, teachers are able to find the potential of our students and help them grow to be global leaders. Our Christian Centered Philosophy is dependent upon parental support to help our students become role models to their peers and reflect their mentors. Academic Curriculum Our curriculum is based primarily on the standards of the U.S. educational system and include the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Advanced Placement courses from the College Board. Taught from a biblical worldview, courses are designed to challenge students academically and to help them think critically and creatively. The goal at MICA is to prepare all students academically, socially, and emotionally to enter post-secondary education in the finest universities in Korea, the USA, and worldwide. We also offer a variety or after-school activities for students to continue to develop their skills and talents. Elementary School Our elementary school curriculum is based on the US Common Core States Standards, which is a set of high-quality standards in mathematics and English Language Arts and Literature. For literary instruction, we use Lucy Calkin's "Readers and Writers Workshop" which helps students gain confidence and skills in reading and writing. Middle School Our middle school students develop knowledge and research skills based on their own personal interests through the US Common Core State Standards. Transitioning from elementary to middle school, students are supported by professional educators and staff who tailor the curriculum based on their interests, academic skills, and standardized assessments. High School Based on the US Common Core State Standards, MICA strives to improve high school student learning using current teaching methods based on current educational research. We offer a diverse curriculum that allows students to individualize their own courses of studies and meet their objectives, needs, and interests. Morever, we seek to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed at top universities worldwide.
Company Type: Education Institute