IB-Candidate Private High School Seeking Experienced English Teacher (science background preferred, F-visa only)Company Name: Chungnam Samsung Academy
|Education Level||Bachelor's Degree|
|Specialized Requirements||Science background; familiar with International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme|
|Starting Date||Mar 2, 2020|
|Deadline||Dec 11, 2019|
|Location||Chungcheongnam-do > Asan-si|
IB-Candidate Private High School Seeking Experienced English Teacher (science background preferred, F-visa only)
Chung Nam Samsung Academy (CNSA), a private Korean high school founded by Samsung in 2014, is looking for a passionate, motivated, innovative teacher to join our English department. We pride ourselves on offering high-quality education to our students. If you want to teach highly motivated students in a dynamic work environment, please consider applying!
As a full teacher at our school, not just an assistant, you will build close relationships with your students and experience the rewards of seeing your students learn about the world and grow in their ability to express themselves in English.
At our school, we seek teachers who want to continue to grow as lifelong learners. We plan to offer the acclaimed International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP – more info at the end of this post) in English starting in 2021, pending authorization, which may also provide an opportunity for further professional growth and development. Because of the possible expansion of IB classes in the natural sciences in the future, candidates with a background in the natural sciences are preferred.
Contract Period: 1 year; March 1, 2020, to February 28, 2021
(renewal possible according to evaluation)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach up to 20 English class hours per week (generally 15-17)
- For those classes, plan lessons, create and/or edit exams, and grade student work
- Help to guide students in a student club
- Participate in and/or judge departmental contests (such as the English Debate Contest and Model UN)
- Help students to prepare for university interviews and/or outside competitions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Native English speaker with strong interpersonal skills
- B.A., B.S., or higher
- Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience (2 or more preferred)
- Strong organizational skills and sense of responsibility
- Residency visa with eligibility to work in Korea (F2, F4 (Gyopo), F5, or F6)
Considered a Plus:
- Academic training in English and/or education: graduate degree or major or minor in a related field, teaching certification, and/or TESOL or CELTA certification
- Academic training in the natural sciences: graduate degree or major or minor in a related field and/or teaching certification
- Familiarity or experience with IB
- Familiarity with Korean culture and language
Salary and Benefits:
- Above the average public school salary—base pay similar to EPIK, according to experience and qualifications, and bonus pay on top of that
- BONUS pay for both Chuseok and Seollal, as well as the summer and winter vacations
- BONUS supplemental group insurance and employer-paid biennial health check-ups
- BONUS pass for Samsung Display City’s network of free buses
- Additional benefits similar to EPIK:
- Housing stipend (400,000 won/ month)
- Korean National Health Insurance (50/50)
- Korean National Pension
- All Korean public holidays and school-designated holidays
- Vacation: 26 days per year (to be taken during school vacations)
Location: Asan, Chungcheongnam-do (about 1 1/2 hours south of Seoul, or 40 minutes via high-speed train)
*****How to Apply*****
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter, outlining your experience in the educational field, your teaching philosophy, and any background experience you have in the sciences and/or with IB
- Proof of F-visa eligibility—a copy of alien registration card showing F-visa status OR statement in a cover letter explaining eligibility
- Valid copy of background check from home country (if currently working in a public school in Korea, a copy from the time of first hiring is acceptable; original will be requested upon hiring)
- Reference letters (if available; can be provided later upon request)
After initial screening, successful applicants will be asked to provide 2 reference letters, a copy of your passport and alien registration card (if applicable), and a copy of your diplomas and/or certificates.
Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to prepare a short teaching demo to begin the interview.
Application deadline: Wednesday, December 11, 2019
Application review and interviews: December 12-22, 2019
Final notification of successful candidate: December 26-30, 2019
Before official hiring, the successful candidate will be asked to submit the results of a TB test.
If no suitable candidates are found, hiring may not take place, at the discretion of the school.
More about CNSA:
CNSA has the distinction of being the only high school founded by Samsung, and though it only opened in 2014, is already at the forefront of innovation in Korean education. CNSA recognizes high school students as “little adults,” not just “big kids,” and accordingly invites them to take charge of their own learning—to choose their own classes according to their level and interests, to participate actively in-class activities and discussions, and to conduct their own research. “Beyond University” is CNSA’s motto—our more holistic approach to education aims not just at getting students into university, but at equipping them with the autonomy, creativity, and excellence that they need to live healthy and productive lives.
For more information about our school, please see our website, available in both English and Korean: https://www.cnsa.hs.kr/hpwEng.
More about IB:
CNSA is a candidate school* for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and is pursuing authorization as an IB World School.
IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improving the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.**
*Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP), or the Career-related Programme (CP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
**Mission Statement from the IB
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org.
Phone 1: 041-339-3000
Chungnam Samsung Academy
Company Type: Private School
Establishment Year: 2014