Opened back in 1986, the National Museum of Modern Contemporary Art (MMCA) Gwacheon is the centerpiece of the MMCA’s network of museums, attracting over 1 million visitors annually, and houses the works of a number of internationally-renowned Korean artists. The museum is most notable for hosting the highly influential video artist Paik Nam June’s piece, The more the better, a massive tower consisting of 1003 television monitors that was designed to commemorate the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Located inside Seoul Grand Park, a lush, green park just south of Seoul in the neighboring city of Gwacheon, MMCA Gwacheon consists of three floors, with eight exhibition galleries and a permanent exhibition hall, as well as an outdoor sculpture park and Children’s Museum.
The building was designed by architect Kim Tae-soo, and opened in 1986, two years before Seoul was to host the Summer Olympics. It offers a superb balance of traditional spatial design and modern functionalities, while the surrounding scenic vistas are a popular spot for visiting families. MMCA Gwacheon mostly showcases the works of established Korean contemporary artists, with occasional exhibitions done by international artists. It also houses an extensive Art Library, as well as an Art Research Center, making MMCA Gwacheon the foremost resource on Korean contemporary art in the world.
Operating Hours & Admission Fees
|Admission||- Admission fee is charged differently according to the exhibition. Please refer to the
museum website for details.
- Entry is free on the last Wednesday of each month, which has been designated as
|Opening Hours|| Museum is closed for Mondays and January 1st
※ If a national holiday falls on a Monday, the museum is closed on the following
|Mar ~ Oct||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday : 10:00 ~ 18:00
Saturday : 10:00 ~ 21:00 (18:00 ~ 21:00 : Special exhibition is free)
|Nov ~ Feb|| Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday : 10:00 ~ 17:00
Saturday : 10:00 ~ 21:00 (17:00 ~ 21:00 : Special exhibition is free)
|※ Open until 21:00 on the last Wednesday of each month, which has been designated
as "Culture Day" by the government
※ Entry into exhibition venues ends 1 hour before the exhibition closing time
313 Gwangmyeong-ro, Makgye-dong, Gwacheon-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Gwacheon
Using the Shuttle bus
- Free shuttle bus to the museum leaves every 20 minutes from Exit No. 4 at Seoul Grand Park Station, Line No. 4.
- Shuttle bus may not operate if there is heavy traffic on the road into the museum, especially on weekends and holidays. It may be more convenient to use the subway as heavy traffic can result from lack of parking space in the museum
Using the Art shuttle bus
- Free shuttle bus for museum visitors
- Every Tuesday through Friday (excluding Mondays, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays)
- 4 times per day
- Stop Location: Shuttle bus station of MMCA Seoul, MMCA Gwacheon, and City Tour bus stop in front of daehanmun of the MMCA Deoksugung
|Driving Path||Departure time|
|Seoul → Deoksugung → Gwacheon||10:00||12:00||14:00||16:00|
Using the Tram ('Elephant Train' in the park)
- Exit no.2(subway station), take the train at the Seoul Land Information Center, and get off at the Seoul Zoo (Station 1)
- Operation time : [Nov.-Feb.] Until 18:00, [Mar.-Oct.] Until 19:00
- Frequency of train arrival : in 5 minutes
- Fare : 1,000won for adults, 800won for youth, 700won for children
- 20 minute walk from Exit No. 1,2,3 from Seoul Grand Park Station, Line No. 4
- Parking waiting time can take over 2 hours during weekends, holidays and peak seasons (April, May, and August to October, etc.) due to traffic congestion around the museum's parking lots.
- It is more convenient to park your vehicle at Seoul Grand Park Parking Lot (5,000won/day) and take the museum shuttle bus which departs from Seoul Grand Park Station, Exit No. 4.
Seoul Grand Park Station (From Seoul Grand Park Station to the museum)
|March - October||9:40||10:00||10:20||10:40||11:00||11:20|
|November - February||9:40||10:00||10:20||10:40||11:00||11:20|
Museum intersection (From the museum to Seoul Grand Park Station)
|March - October||11:10||11:30||11:50||12:10||12:30||12:50|
|November - February||11:10||11:30||11:50||12:10||12:30||12:50|
※ Times in bold are only for Saturdays and last Wednesday every month.
※ The National Museum of Contemporary Art, Korea, adheres to license plate number restriction system in
parking, in order to contribute to reducing of energy (effective from June 12th, 2006)