A lot of the foreigners coming to Korea recently have found jobs as English, foreign language instructors, working for public and private schools (especially hagwons).
Such foreigners will be enlisted as an E-2 Visa, which I will explain in detail below.
All details are referenced from "Visa Instruction Guide"
A foreigner that meets the qualifications designated by the Minister of Justice and that wants to teach at a foreign language academy, educational institution or its affiliated language centers (elementary school or higher), broadcasting corporation and other corporate language centers
A. Concept of Foreign Language Instruction
‣ If you are teaching how to make a conversation in foreign language, at a foreign language academy.educational institution.corporation.associations and others, you are eligible to apply for the foreign language instructor (E-2) visa.
‣ If you are just teaching how to interpret and translate a particular foreign language or literature, you are not eligible to apply for the foreign language instructor visa.
B. Allowed Locations
▸ A foreign language academy*, educational institution or its affiliated language centers (elementary school or higher), broadcasting corporation and other corporate language centers
* Including Private educational institute that offers online education programs based on
ICT (Amended act on the establishment and operation of private teaching institutes and
【 Other equivalent institutions 】
‣ A continuing education facility established under the Lifelong Education Act, that meets the requirements designated by the Minister of Justice.
‣ Other continuing education facility that is run by a local governmental body or the state in accordance with laws(including ordinances) other than the Lifelong Education Act.
‣ A vocational development center or a corporation that is established in accordance with the Workers Vocational Skills Development Act.
‣ An education center for construction technology personnel, that was designated under the Construction Technology Management Act (e.g. an English conversation instructor at Construction Industry Education Center)
‣ A public facility or a corporation with a language center/classrooms for its employees
A foreign language instructor at a foreign language academy
▸If you are a citizen and have graduated from a university and received a bachelor's degree (or higher) in a country which speaks the language you are going to teach, you are eligible to apply.
‣ A special privilege given to a graduate of a Korean university
- If you have graduated from a high school or a community college in a country that speaks the language that you are planning to teach, and have received a bachelor's degree (or higher) from a Korean university, you are qualified to apply.
If you are recruited and selected as an (elementary, middle, high) school teacher by the head of a local district school board or the Minister of the Education, Science and Technology, you are qualified to apply.
Native English Teacher (EPIK)
‣A citizen of an English-speaking country who graduated from university and received a bachelor's degree or higher.
*English Speaking Countries (7 countries) : the U.S., the U.K., Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland
An English Teaching Assistant in accordance with the Korea-India CEPA Agreement
‣An Indian citizen who graduated from university and received a bachelor's degree (or higher) and teacher license (english major)
Volunteer English teacher under a program called Teach and Learn in Korea(TaLK)
‣ A citizen of an English-speaking country
- A person who has completed at least 2 years of university (but, you are a U.K. citizen, 1-year-of-university is good enough) or who has graduated from a community college
- A person who has been educated in a given language for more than 10 years and who has completed at least 2 years of a Korean university or graduated from a community college
Native Chinese Teaching Assistant under Chinese Program in Korea(CPIK)
‣A chinese citizen who graduated from a Chinese Universeity and received a bachelor's degree and Chinese-as-a-second language teacher license issued by China's HSK
Maximum Length of Stay: You are allowed to stay for up to 2 years.
Visas Issued at the Discretion of the Head of Diplomatic Mission:
1. If you have signed a contract with the Minister of Education, Science and Technology or the head of a district school board and want to teach at an elementary, middle, and high school as a foreign language teaching assistant, a single-entry visa valid for 2 years will be issued to you.
- If you are a native speaker of the given language and have signed a contract with the head of a district school board to teach English or Chinese at an elementary․middle․high school as an English teaching assistant (EPIK)* or a Chinese teaching assistant (CPIK)**, you are eligible to apply.
* EPIK(English Program In Korea) is introduced by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology
in 1996 and run from 1997 in order to meet the demands of globalization.
** CPIK(Chinese Program In Korea) is a new project run by the Minister of Education, Science and
Technology, which invites a native chinese speaker as a teaching assistant since March, 2012.
- If you are a foreign English scholar who is invited by the government and who has signed a contract with the head of a district school
* The TaLK(Teach and Learn in Korea) program invites overseas Koreans and foreign university students as volunteer teachers and team them up with Korean university scholars since August and September, 2012. They teach at elementary schools in rural areas during the after-school hours〔If you are overseas Koreans or permanent residents in English-Speaking countries, you are eligible to apply even if you are freshmen and sophomore at a community college or a university〕
Application for visa issuance and application review (same for the confirmation of visa
- You can apply for the visa at any diplomatic mission abroad* (However, if you are Chinese teaching assistant, you can only apply at the Korean diplomatic mission in China)
- A single entry visa will be issued, which is valid for the contract period plus 1 month with a maximum validity of 2 years, and a specific code for Teaching Assistant (E-2-2)
* However, a FTA English teaching assistant will be given E-2-91, and American citizens
will be given the multiple-entry visa
1. Application for the visa issuance (formno.17), passport, one standard-size photograph, fee
2. An acceptance letter for an english teaching assistant or a Chinese teaching assistant who is a native speaker of the respective language or an invitation letter for Talk scholars (issued by the chairman of the National Institute for International Education or the head of a district school board)
* The National Institute for International Education or the head of a district school board issues an invitation letter or an acceptance letter after he/she has reviewed all education information and background check, therefore, the eligible applicant for the visa is exempt from submitting required documentation like other visa applications
3.Employment contract with the head of a school district school board
※The head of the diplomatic mission may request additional documents if it is deemed necessary to examine the purpose of the invitation, genuineness of the invitation and the qualifications of the inviter and the invitee.
Eligibility for the Visa Issuance Confirmation
You are eligible to receive an E-2 visa through the visa issuance confirmation.
1. A foreign Language Instructor (E-2) visa will be issued if you have the visa issuance confirmation
A. Eligible Applicants
A teacher at an English Academy
- A person who wants to teach a foreign language in accordance with Article 3(3) of the presidential decree of the Act on the Establishment and Operation of Private Teaching Institutes and Extracurricular Lessons
* As Article 2(1) of the Act on the Establishment and Operation of Private Teaching Institutes and Extra
Curricular Lesson was revised on October 25th, 2011, a private distance learning center that uses
communication and information technology is included as a valid eligibility requirement.
A teacher at an educational institute such as elementary school (or higher) or recruited, selected by an affiliated language center
* A visa will be issued at the discretion of the head of a diplomatic mission abroad for those recruited
and hired by the head of a district school board, including the English teaching assistant (EPIK),
scholar (TaLK), or a Chinese teaching assistant (CPIK).
A foreign language instructor at corporate language centers for employee on-the-job-training
- A person teaching a foreign language at an institution․association established in
accordance with the Act on the Management of Public Organization or other relevant
* We do allow any facility that is registered as the lifelong education institute affiliated with business
in accordance with the Lifelong Education Act
A foreign language instructor at a continuing education institute in accordance with the Lifelong Education Act
* School affiliated continuing education facilities, school․company's internal college, cyber university,
business places․civil society groups,media affiliated continuing education facilities, continuing
education related to knowledge․human resource development
A foreign language instructor teaching at a continuing education facility that is established and run by the state or other local governments in accordance with other laws (including regulations)
A foreign language instructor teaching at a vocational skills development facility or vocational training corporation established in accordance with the Workers Vocational Skills Development Act
A corporation or a public institute* which has set up a language center that has all the necessary equipments and facilities to study a foreign language for its employees
* Government-owned companies, semi-government-owned companies, or other public institutes
established in accordance with the Act on the Management of Public Organization are considered
this case, and you can check that out at www.alio.go.kr
B. Visa Issuance Confirmation and Visa Issuance
A confirmation of visa issuance for E-2-1, which includes maximum 2 years of contract duration + 1 month as the period of sojourn, will be issued.
Visa application, review and issuance are possible only at diplomatic missions abroad
1. An application for the visa issuance confirmation (form no. 21), passport, one standard size photograph
2. A proof of your education confirmed by a public authority* (i.e. either a copy of a degree, a proof of degree, or a proof of university graduation which indicates being conferred a degree)
* The document needs to be confirmed by the Apostille Agreement (for participants countries), by the consul of the diplomatic mission abroad (for non-apostille-participants countries), by the official public institute (i.e. Korean Council for University Education) or by the government agency (for Japanese only)
- If you have received a degree from a local university in Korea, you are allowed to
submit an unofficial copy of a degree.
- If you have submitted a document confirmed by the institutes listed above in the
past, then you are exempt from this requirement.
3. Criminal Records issued and confirmed by a public authority* in your country (it should include all criminal records across the country)
* Check with the Apostille agreement (participants) or get your documents confirmed by the consul at a diplomatic mission abroad (for citizens of non-apostille agreement signatories)
- The criminal records must have been issued within 6 months from the application date.
- If you have submitted a criminal record that was confirmed by a public authority before and have left the country and now are in the middle of process of reapplying within 3 months of your last departure, you are exempt fromsubmitting the criminal records. However, it has been more than 3 months that you have left the country, then, you need to submit a renewed one with application form for foreigner registration.
【Respective Institutions Issuing Criminal Records in Key Countries 】
‣ The United States : Criminal records issued by the FBI(Federal Bureau of Investigation) or the State (the documents should indicate all criminal records across the U.S.)
‣ Canada : RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records issued by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
‣ The United Kingdom : Basic Disclosure, Request for Information, ACPO Criminal Records Office Authentic Document issued by the Home Office, Police (Criminal Records Bureau, Disclosure Scotland, Access Northern Ireland, ACPO Criminal Records Office)
‣ Australia : Standard Disclosure, National Police Certificate issued by the AFP(Australian Federal Police)
‣ The Republic of South Africa : Clearance Certificate issued by the South African Police Service
‣ Ireland : Police Certificate issued by the national police of the Republic of Ireland
‣ New Zealand : Criminal Record issued by the Ministry of Justice
4. Self Health Assessment Report (please see the form no. 4 which was newly updated on 19 Jan. 2012)
5. Employment Contract, a relevant document for establishing a private academy or group
6. Other necessary documents for consideration
- Outline for how to use the teachers, number of students and teachers
➠ If you hire a representative, you need to submit the power of attorney, a proof of current
employment of your representative, and your representative IDs.
※ The head of an immigration (branch) office may request/omit additional documents if it is deemed necessary to examine the genuineness of the invitation and the qualifications of the inviter and the invitee.
Places where you can teach how to make a conversation in a foreign language
‣ Educational institutes (elementary school or higher) or their affiliated language research center
‣ On-the-job-training center of firms and associations designed to train employees
‣ A foreign language private academy that is established in accordance with Article 3(2) of Enforcement Decree of the Act on the establishment and operation of private teaching institutes and extracurricular lessons.
- It is possible to register multiple-courses and lessons and run them accordingly
- Any private academy equivalent to a foreign language academy in accordance with Article 12 of the presidential decree of the Immigration Act
‣ Any continuing education facility that meets the standard and conditions designated by the Minister of Justice in accordance with the Lifelong Education Act
‣ Other continuing education facility that is established and run by either the state or a local government in accordance with other laws (including regulations)
‣ A vocational skills development center or vocational training center that is established in accordance with the Workers Vocational Skills Development Act
- An employment recommendation letter issued by the Minister of Labor is needed
‣ Any government agency* or other corporations that have set up facilities for language training for their employees
* Public Institutes such as government owned companies, semi-government-owned companies, and other public organizations that are established in accordance with the Act on the Management of Public Organization (you can check that out at www.alio.go.kr)
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Welcome to my Blog
Hello, and welcome to my blog! My aim is to provide new tourists and expats information and daily tips about living in Korea. These tips will be ranging from visa, some history and overview, food, popular attractions, and general information about Korea.