Korean Visas
Foreign visitors to South Korea must have a valid passport and obtain a Korean visa before entering the country.
Visiting Korea
People from the following countries may visit Korea temporarily without a visa, due to visa-exemption agreements between their countries and South Korea or because of principles of reciprocity or national interest. For more information, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade website
[Table1] Countries under Visa Exemption Agreements
Country/Period(days) Country/Period(days) Country/Period(days)
Austria / 90 Belgium / 90 Bulgaria / 90
Czech Republic / 90 Denmark / 90 Estonia / 90
Finland / 90 France / 90 Greece / 90
Germany / 90 Hungary / 90 Iceland / 90
Ireland / 90 Italy / 60 Liechtenstein / 90
Luxembourg / 90 Malta / 90 Netherlands / 90
Norway / 90 Portugal / 60 Poland / 90
Romania / 90 Spain / 90 Slovak Republic / 90
Sweden / 90 Switzerland / 90 United Kingdom / 90
Asia and Oceania
Bangladesh / 90 Israel / 90 Malaysia / 90
New Zealand / 90 Pakistan / 90 Singapore / 90
Thailand / 90 Turkey / 90
Antigua and Barbuda / 90 Bahamas / 90 Barbados / 90
Brazil / 90 Colombia / 90 Costa Rica / 90
Common wealth of Dominica / 90 Dominican Republic / 90 El Salvador / 90
Grenada / 90 Haiti / 90 Jamaica / 90
Mexico / 90 Nicaragua / 90 Panama / 90
Peru / 90 St. Lucia / 90 St. Kitts and Nevis / 90
St. Vincent & the Grenadines / 90 Surinam / 90 Trinidad and Tobago / 90
Lesotho / 60 Liberia / 90 Morocco / 90
Tunisia / 30

[Table2] Countries or Regions under principles of reciprocity and national interest
Country/Period(days) Country/Period(days) Country/Period(days)
Brunei / 30 Hong Kong / 90 Japan / 90
Kuwait / 30 Macao / 30 Oman / 30
Qatar / 30 Saudi Arabia / 30 Taiwan / 30
United Arab emirates / 30 Yemen / 30  
North America
Canada / 180 United States / 90  
South America
Argentina / 90 Chile / 90 Guatemala / 30
Honduras / 30 Paraguay / 30 Uruguay / 30
Venezuela / 30    
Albania / 30 Croatia / 90 Cyprus / 30
Latvia / 90 Lithuania / 90 Monaco / 30
Slovenia / 90 Vatican / 30  
Australia / 90 Fiji / 30 Guam / 30
Kiribati / 30 Marshall Islands/ 30 Palau / 30
Nauru / 30 New Caledonia / 30  
Republic of South Africa / 30 Swaziland / 30  
Long-Term Visas
Detailed information about long-term visas (including work and employment visas) can be found at the websites for Hi Korea e-Government for Foreigners, and the Korea Immigration Service. This includes the documents and procedures necessary for obtaining these types of visas for Korea. Those with specific questions may also call the Immigration Contact Center (1345 from Korea), with counseling available in 18 languages.
Working in Korea
Employment visas allow foreign residents to remain in Korea for a period of time, and are issued for a specific position of employment.

Categories of Employment Visas in Korea

C-4 Visa – Temporary Employment
(Temporary employment – Lectures, research or technical training, short-term entertainer, etc.)

E-1 Visa – Professorship
(Lecturer or researcher in field of expertise at an above-college-level facility)

E-2 Visa – Foreign Language Instructor
(Conversational language instructor at a school, linguistic facility or similar organization)

E-3 Visa – Research
(Research and Development – Natural science or advanced technology)

E-4 Visa – Technological Guidance
(Expertise in a natural science or advanced technology field)

E-5 Visa – Professional Employment
(Professionals with an international license who wish to practice in Korea)

E-6 Visa – Arts & Performance
(Entertainers, athletes, models, etc.)

E-7 Visa – Special Occupation
(All other special activities, determined by the Ministry of Justice)

E-9 Visa – Non-Professional Employment
(Non-specialized employment)

E-10 Visa – Vessel Crew
(Member of a vessel crew)

H-1 Visa – Working Holiday
(Short term employment – MOU between home country and Korea required)

Studying in Korea

C-3 Visa – Temporary Visit
(Temporary Stay – Short-term study or training, academic research, etc.)

D-2 Visa – Overseas Study
(Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate degree students at colleges, universities, and graduate schools)

D-4 Visa – General Training
(Studying Korean language at a university, education at facilities other than listed in D-2 category, training in a technology other skill)
Visa Type
Tourist & Business Visas

Visitors from countries not under Visa Exemption Agreements must apply for a visa extension if planning to stay for more than 30 days. Depending on the situation of the consulate, the visa extension will be issued 1 to 3 days from the day of application. Applicants require a completed application form, a recent passport-sized colour photo and the application fee. Visitors do not require the outbound flight ticket. Visa extensions are usually for 90 days.

All visas including long-term visas are for a single visit. Therefore anyone who wishes to leave the country and re-enter later on during the allowed period of stay should obtain the Re-entry Permit from the Ministry of Justice prior to departure. For business visas, the intention of activities must be clearly stated on the visa application form.

Work Visas

Visitors may obtain work visas in their home country with the endorsement of the employer in Korea. If the visitor is already in Korea, he/she must obtain the work visa from an embassy or consulate in a country outside Korea. Work visas are usually valid for 1 year from the date of issue and take about 2-4 weeks to process. Work visa extensions are possible if visitor remains with the same employer. Visitors with work visas must obtain a residence permit from the Immigration Office. Visitors engaging in remunerative activities without a work visa can be subject to fines and deportation.
Application for Visas
- Visa application should be made at Korean embassies or consulates abroad.
- It is required that visa applicants submit a passport, application forms, a recent passport-style color
  photograph, and such other documents as determined by the status of stay.
- Visa fees are as follows:
a. Single entry visa for a stay of no more than 90 days: USD30
b. Single entry visa for a stay of more than 90 days: USD50
c. Multiple entry visa: USD80
d. Prolongation of Re-entry Permit: USD20

*For Citizens of the United States of America, the multiple entry visa fee is USD45 on the basis of reciprocity since the mutual agreement in 1994.
Visa Extension
Extensions for tourist visas are possible in special cases such as accidents, health problems, flight cancellation, etc. Applications for visa extensions can be made at a local immigration office at least one day before the day of expiration.

*Regarding Visa Type information is from the official site of Korea Tourism Organization

For more information, you can visit other governmental websites.

Or if you are looking for an English teaching job in Korea, ask our recruiting service so they can take care of the whole process, from visa problems to finding you a job.

Google ADS